How to Format External Hard Drive under OS X 10.10 Yosemite?
by Shirly Chen, 2016-10-09
When your external hard drive is full of junk files, or you will resell your device, you may need to format it to regain the full storage or wipe sensitive data to avoid data leakage. Unlike Windows 10 or Windows 8, there is no direct option to format the device when you right-click the device under Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. However, there are still some easy solutions to format external hard drive under Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Just follow the guide bellow, you can easily format the external hard drive under Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and wipe data.
Solution 1: Format External Hard Drive with Disk Utility under 10.10 Yosemite
Mac disk utility is a built-in application in all Mac OS versions including OS X 10.10 Yosemite. It can help users to format external hard drive under Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and erase all data. This solution is very simple. Here, you can follow these steps.
1. Connect your external hard drive with your Mac computer.
2. Open disk utility (click Launchpad – find disk utility).
3. Select the external hard drive and click "Erase".
Then disk utility will format the external hard drive.
This is a fast way to clean up all data on your external hard drive and format it. However, the formatted data can be recovered by data recovery software or other data recovery method because the data is not permanently lost. If you only want to format your external hard drive under Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite or clean up all existing files, this solution is a good option. However, if you are going to sell/donate or throw away your external hard drive, this solution is not safe because it can’t permanently erase the data. Other people can easily recover your data from the formatted external hard drive. In order to permanently destroy all the data, the following solution will help you.
Solution 2: Format External Hard Drive with Super Eraser and Permanently Wipe Data
In some cases, people format an external hard drive before selling, donating or throwing away to avoid data leakage. In such cases, the data should be permanently destroyed. DoYourData Super Eraser for Mac is a powerful Mac data erasure application. It will help you format external hard drive under Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and permanently wipe data.
Just download and install DoYourData Super Eraser for Mac on your Mac computer. Then connect your external hard drive with your Mac. Now you can launch DoYourData Super Eraser for Mac to format external hard drive under Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
Here are the steps: select Wipe Hard Drive mode.
Sselect the external hard drive and click on "Wipe Now" button.
Once the process gets started, all the existing/deleted/lost data on the external hard drive will be permanently destroyed and wiped. Nobody can recover it even with the best data recovery software. If you are planning to sell your external hard drive or just throw it to trash, you’d better use this solution to format your external hard drive under Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and permanently erase your data.
- Permanently Delete Files on Mac
- Permanently Format Mac Hard Drive
- Format and Permanently Wipe External Hard Drive on Mac
- Erase Mac Trash Bin Data
- Three Options to Permanently Wipe MacBook Data
- How to Make Data Recovery Impossible on Mac?
- Easy Way to Reformat Memory Card on Mac
- Secure Solution to Permanently Wipe Data before Selling Old Mac Computer
- How to Permanently Erase Photos from Mac?
- How to Easily Reset a Mac to Factory Settings?
Mac Data Erasure
- How to Permanently Erase External Hard Drive Data on Mac?
- Wipe Emptied Mac Trash and Permanently Erase Deleted Files
- Paragon Disk Wiper for Mac Free Download
- Mac Disk Utility Alternative with More Powerful Data Erasure
- Disk Formatting Software for Mac
- How to format a USB Drive on Mac?
- How to Erase Data from CF Card under Mac OS?
- How to Format Raw Drive/USB/SD Card/External Hard Drive on Mac?
- Permanently Delete Files in macOS 10.13 High Sierra
- Permanently Delete Files/Erase Hard Drive in APFS File System
- Permanently Delete Microsoft Office Documents on Mac
- How to Format or Reformat SSD on Mac?
- How to Permanently Delete Photos from iPhoto?
- How to Permanently Delete Data from SD Card on Mac?
- How to Format Hard Drive in macOS 10.14 Mojave?
- Why Deleted Data on Mac Can Be Recovered? How to Avoid This?
- How to Format Unrecognized Memory Card on Mac?
- Two Ways to Format External Hard Drive/USB Drive under macOS 10.14 Mojave
- Prevent Data Recovery on USB Flash Drive with Mac Data Eraser
- How to Prevent Data Recovery from SD Card under Mac OS?